Saturday, December 09, 2006

Illegal immigrants

Tonight I encountered my first illegal immigrant in California. He snuck in from England, lived here for near 15 years before getting a green card, and is surprisingly a white Anglo Saxon. Very interesting night, starting off with meeting some friends at the Spaceship Galaxy. There was an exhibit of T-shirts made by local graphic artists, a bar, and one of the most entertaining small venue bands I have ever seen. If you can picture a stereotypical scene in this city, tonight would have been it.

After I smuggled in my affordable beverage and started chatting people up, a fellow from a party recognized me and my friend upstairs in this venue. A native Californian, who grew up an illegal immigrant from England in this city since he was 5, he immediately shared a shot of whiskey with my friend and, once initial rapport was established. Just like everyone in this city, he had his own story, and it turned out to be a very interesting night, as we ended up kicking it with his friends in the tenderloin, talking politics until 4:30 am. Turns out, he does some of the best graffiti art I have seen first hand, as he has taken a childhood pastime and sculpted it into an art form he can profit from. As I establish future businesses, I think he might be the guy I turn to to help design a logo.

On a side note, I have never heard anything as impressive live, as this 6 minute medley of every popular song in hip hop, 80s hits, and any other song that brought back distinct college memories put together with utter genius. This band was phenomenal, and made the experience in the city tonight it. I love this city...

No comments: