Tuesday, March 15, 2005

When in Rome

If my weekend could have been any more unpredictable, I just wouldn't know what to do with myself. Here is a summary of the last few days (starting from the end of the trip)

-Missed my flight home...I arrived at the Rome Ciampino airport 35 min before my flight was scheduled to take off, because it was 5 am, and I couldn't find a bus to take me there, and had no money for a taxi. Ryanair (airlines) would not let me check in, even though they hadn't even started boarding the plane, the lady even starting mocking me when we heard the plane take off, after she made me buy a new ticket. Real Dodgy

-Drank wine with some kids from San Fransisco on the famous Spanish Steps, until 3 in the morning. A group of drunk Danish girls came and hit on me, trying to convince me they were a few years older than they really were. One of them claimed to be known in her country as "Princess Sophia" yeah, and I'm one of the 40 thieves. Saw a Lamborghini smart car, tried to pick it up, its a funny picture.

-Met some backpackers from Seattle in a pub, who turn out to be the infamous backpackers that everyone in my school in London has heard about, since they met these girls and ended up staying in their closet for a couple weeks. Real small world. Also met a crazy old guy who was fascinated that Kalamazoo was in fact a legit city, and not just part of a title from some song. Yes there really is a Kalamazoo.

-Spent 2 days in Rome alone, Saw all the famous sites, took the open bus/boat tour, walked through the ruins, Colosseum, Pantheon, Vatican, saw the pope at his hospital,(poor guy) Played some blues for hundreds of Italians dining/site seeing at Navona Piazza with this crazy musician who played his guitar upside down, made friends with an artist who drew me a portrait of me at Navona Piazza, saw some hilarious street performers. Ate Gellato and pizza a few times

-My travel companion flips out because I talked to this Irish girl for 10 minutes, leaves Rome and goes to Florence, steals my 8 Euro bottle of wine, and flies back to London a night early.

-Arrive in Rome with no place to stay, because the Hotel my travel companion was supposed to book canceled the free room I had been promised, because stupid girl failed to answer her phone all week.

Unfortunate, I might have to cancel the backpacking trip, since my funds have run short, but i will definitely return to Italy in the appropriate time, the people are beautiful, warm and friendly, and the food is incredible.

Dublin this Thursday, and a ridiculous amount of work besides that.

No comments: